Self Reliance, Inc. Center for Independent Living (CIL) is a non-profit 501 (C) (3) organization established in 1978. Our mission is to promote independence through empowering persons with disabilities and improving the communities in which we live. Self Reliance is a cross disability agency providing services to both children and adults with disabilities (regardless of age and type of disability) to identify and overcome barriers to independence in their lives. Self Reliance is an agency of last resort and there is no charge for services. Self Reliance is one of 16 Centers for Independent Living (CILs) in Florida.
Mandated by the Federal Government, Centers For Independent Living (CIL) provide four core services to
individuals with disabilities. The core services are
- Advocacy – giving aid to a cause; active verbal support for a cause or position.
- Peer Support & Mentoring – talking to a person with a disability who can understand and encourage you in your decision-making and quest for independence.
- Independent Living Skills Training – individual and group training in areas such as job readiness, home management, parenting, transportation, healthcare and other areas as needed.
- Information & Referral – learn about community resources and how to connect with valuable services to achieve your goals towards community independence.
- Additional services: Durable Medical Equipment Program – this program provides for the purchase, loan and/or repair of durable medical equipment including manual and power wheelchairs, crutches, shower benches and chairs and walkers. Other services include ADA accessibility surveys, assistive listening devices such as door bell alarms for the deaf and hard of hearing, recreational & social opportunities for individuals with disabilities.
Office Hours in Tampa:
Monday – Thursday from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Fridays from 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Tampa office is located at 8901 North Armenia Avenue in Tampa 33604
Please contact Self Reliance Center for Independent Living (CIL) for information and access to services.
Telephone: 813 375 3965
Information: TTY: 813 375 3972
Videophone: For Videophone owners call direct at 813-402-0330
To reach the VP Relay operator call 1-866-327-8877 and give the operator our direct number.
Anyone can receive information and referral services and people with disabilities can access services through an intake process. Please contact Self Reliance by telephone, video phone, mail, email or in person to schedule an intake appointment that is convenient for you. There are no charges for services but Funders and Grantors may have income, asset and residency requirements for the services they fund. As an agency of last resort Self Reliance does serve those in most need and have no other means to access programs and services. Some Funders may require documentation of disability and need and any person requesting the purchase and/or repair of durable medical equipment must have a prescription from a medical provider.